Lip augmentation, which can be done in several ways, is a type of medical cosmetic procedure that aims to alter the appearance and shape of the lips to quite an extent by increasing their “fullness”.
The most common lip augmentation process is the lip filler, a process that involves injecting dermal fillers in and around the mouth. These fillers contain hyaluronic acid, a natural substance in the body that helps increase the volume of the lips.
Hyaluronic acid fillers have several advantages:
- Hyaluronic acid fillers stimulate new collagen, give volume, and soften fine lines.
- The doctor can control the volume of substance injected, and thus control the lip volume.
- Injections can be staggered till desired results are achieved.
- Lumps created by lip movement can be dissolved easily.
- Bruising is less compared to other dermal fillers.
- Reasonably lasting results, though not permanent.
In the lip filler augmentation process, the doctor needs to assess the symmetry and shape of your lips and overall facial balance. Based on this, it is decided which areas of the lips need to be fuller and plumper. Fillers are then injected into either or both, the upper and lower lips. The gel in the filler supports and shapes the lip tissues.
The lip filler augmentation procedure, which is an in-office process, takes about 15-30 minutes, allowing you to go home the same day. It is also a temporary solution that lasts between only six to eight months.